How to reach Bormio
Here are the main methods to reach Bormio and its valleys.
- from Milan: SS36 (Milan, Lecco and Colico) and continue on the SS38 (Sondrio, Tirano, Bormio).
- from Bergamo: SS342 up to Cisano Bergamasco and then follow the SS639 towards Lecco and then SS36 (Lecco and Colico) and SS38 (Sondrio, Tirano, Bormio).
- from Brescia: Lago d'Iseo / Valcamonica SS39 Tonale towards Edolo, proceed to Passo di Aprica and then reach Tirano. Continue along the SS38 or take the Mortirolo Pass (open only in summer) and continue on the SS38 to Bormio.
- from Bolzano / Merano cross the Stelvio Pass (open only in summer) and continue to Bormio.
- from Switzerland: - head towards Livigno in winter, cross the Tunnel The Drossa / Munt La Schera and then to Bormio, - in summer reach Santa Maria Monastero, cross the Umbrail Pass and continue to Bormio.
- from Milan: along the railway Trenitalia Milan-Lecco-Colico-Sondrio-Tirano then take the Bus Perego (stop opposite the train station of Tirano) to Bormio.
- from Switzerland: take the Red Bernina train to Tirano and then the Bus Perego (stop opposite the train station of Tirano) to Bormio.
The nearest airports are:
- Milano Malpensa
- Milano Linate
- Bergamo Orio al Serio.
A daily bus service is available to reach Alta Valtellina.